Nicholas H. (Nick) Evans
PO Box 1424, Charlottesville VA 22902
Phillips Exeter Academy
University of Virginia, 1973, BA environmental sciences
Virginia Tech, 1984, PhD geology
The Princeton Course, Groundwater Pollution and Hydrology, 1995
Sorensen Institute for Political Leadership, 2000
2002 to present: Virginia Groundwater LLC, dba Center for Sustainable Groundwater, President and Chief Hydrogeologist
- Conduct hydrogeologic assessments of land parcels for groundwater characterization and water well siting: recharge potential, hazards to water quality, flow direction and availability; clients include individual landowners, developers, industry, agriculture and local government.
- Design, conduct and interpret geophysical surveys to map groundwater in the subsurface.
- Design, conduct and interpret aquifer tests and water quality tests to characterize water well performance and long term sustainability.
- Provide consulting services and technical expertise in areas of geology, hydrology, water supply planning and water resources management.
1999 to present: Thomas Jefferson Soil & Water Conservation District, Director and Chairman
- Oversee District programs in support of responsible stewardship of water resources.
- Build consensus among District board members in support of innovative programs that enhance the District’s role in water resources protection and conservation.
- Build partnerships with citizen groups, local governments, State and Federal agencies, and non-profit organizations that broaden the reach of District programs and leverage District resources through grant funding and volunteer activities.
- Foster informed public policy in water resources management by providing technical expertise, written comment, and oral presentations to citizens, planners and elected government officials.
- Created the Thomas Jefferson Water Resources Protection Foundation under auspices of TJSWCD, to administer the District’s riparian conservation easement program (2002).
- Co-chair, Task Force on Erosion and Sediment Control and Storm Water Management Law for the Virginia Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts (2001).
- Initiated regional Water Resources Advisory Committee, jointly sponsored by TJSWCD and the Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission (2000). Chaired WRAC technical studies of sedimentation in the South Fork Rivanna Reservoir (2000) and water supply planning for TJPDC’s Eastern Planning Initiative (2001).
1984 to 2002: Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy, Senior Geologist
- Project team member and coauthor, Albemarle County Hydrogeologic Assessment Phase 1: Mechums River and Ivy Creek Basins (2000-2002).
- Pioneered development of computer-based geology/water well database for Albemarle County (1995-2002) in partnership with the County and the Virginia Department of Health.
- Convened two Piedmont Water Summits in central Virginia which brought together elected State and local officials and planners to discuss water resources issues affecting multiple jurisdictions (1999, 2000).
- Partnered with TJPDC, private-sector consultants, and local planners in Louisa and Fluvanna counties to evaluate groundwater and surface water resources in support of comprehensive water supply planning (1995-2000).
- Developed geology/water well databases as planning tools for Louisa (1996) and Fluvanna (1997) counties.
- Project team member, Albemarle County Pilot Groundwater Study for the North Fork/South Fork Hardware River Watershed (1994).
- Team leader for twenty people from DMR, USGS, academia and the private sector in coordinating production of the Blue Ridge and Piedmont portion of the 1993 Geologic Map of Virginia.
- Albemarle County Groundwater Committee (1999 to present)
- Chairman, Area II, Virginia Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts (2004)
- Scientific Advisory Board, Wintergreen Nature Foundation (1999 to present)
- Virginia Certified Professional Geologist #2801-001041
- Virginia Licensed Air-Rotary Drilling Contractor #2705-080012
- Eagle Scout
Geologic Maps, Technical Reports and Databases
Evans, Nick H. and Collins, Michael C., 2010, Underground Albemarle Revisited: The role of groundwater ecosystem services in determining an optimal sustainable population size for the Charlottesville/Albemarle community; Charlottesville, Virginia: Advocates for a Sustainable Albemarle Population, 52p.
Wilkes, Gerald P., Spencer, Edgar W., and Evans, Nick H., 2007, Geologic Map of Rockbridge County, Virginia (1:50,000 scale geologic map with text).
Evans, Nick H. and Hostettler, Karen K., 2001, A Hydrogeologic Database for Fluvanna County, Virginia; Virginia Division of Mineral Resources Publication 158 (CD-ROM).
Evans, Nick H., 1999, Groundwater resources if Fluvanna County; IN: Water Resources in Fluvanna County: present conditions and recommendations for preservation and restoration; Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission and Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy, 57 p.
Evans, Nick H., Harbor, David, and Spencer, Edgar W., 1998, Geology of Eastern Rockbridge County: 28th Annual Virginia Geologic Field Conference: Virginia Division of Mineral Resources, 41 p.
Evans, Nick H., 1998, Geology and groundwater hydrology of Louisa County; IN: County of Louisa water quality management plan and groundwater study; Thomas Jefferson Planning District Commission, Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy, Louisa County Planning Department, Louisa County Water Authority, and Draper Aden Associates, 144 p.
Evans, Nick. H., 1994, Geology of the Simeon quadrangle, Virginia: Virginia Division of Mineral Resources Publication 134 (1:24,000 scale geologic map with text).
Evans, Nick H., and Milici, Robert C., 1994, Stratigraphic relations and structural chaos on the southeastern limb of the Blue Ridge anticlinorium and points east, central Virginia Piedmont; IN: Schultz, A.P., and Henika, W.S. (eds.), Fieldguides to Southern Appalachian Structure, Stratigraphy, and Engineering Geology: Virginia Tech Department of Geological Sciences Guidebook Number 10, p. 31-64.
Virginia Division of Mineral Resources, 1993, Geologic Map of Virginia (1:500,000 scale geologic map with 80-page expanded explanation): contributor, compiler, and editor, Blue Ridge and Piedmont portion.
Evans, Nick H., and Troensegaard, King W., 1991, Geology of the St. Paul and Carbo quadrangles, Virginia: Virginia Division of Mineral Resources Publication 106 (1:24,000 scale geologic map with text).
Glover, Lynn, III, Evans, Nick H., Patterson, Judith G., and Brown, William R., 1989, Tectonics of the Virginia Blue ridge and Piedmont: 28th International Geological Congress, Field trip Guidebook T363: Washington, D.C., American Geophysical Union, 59 p.
Evans, Nick H. and Marr, John D., Jr., 1988, Geology and the slate industry in the Arvonia district, Buckingham County, Virginia: Virginia Minerals, v. 34, n. 4.
Schultz, A. P., Stanley, C. B., Gathright, T. M., II, Rader, E.K., Bartholomew, M. J., Lewis, S. E., and Evans, N. H., 1986, Geologic Map of Giles County, Virginia: Virginia Division of Mineral Resources Publication 69 (1:50,000 scale map with text).
Evans, Nick H., 1991, Latest Precambrian to Ordovician metamorphism in the Virginia Blue Ridge: origin of the contrasting Lovingston and Pedlar basement terranes: American Journal of Science, v. 291, p. 425-452.
Evans, Nick .H., and Speer, J. Alexander, 1984, Low-pressure metamorphism and anatexis of Carolina slate belt phyllites in the contact aureole of the Lilesville Pluton, North Carolina, USA: Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v. 87, p. 297-309.
Evans, Nick H., , Hostettler, Karen K, Ellis, Vadella D., Green, Cordell A., and Slevin, Jill L., 1996, Integrated hydrogeologic database in the Virginia Piedmont: using digital technologies to assess groundwater availability and quality in crystalline rocks: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 28.
Evans, Nick H., 1995, Digital mapping in the James River synclinorium, Virginia Piedmont: applying new technologies in addressing old questions of regional correlation, geologic structure, and groundwater; Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 27, p. A-35.
Evans, Nick H., 1994, Age and provenance of the western Piedmont metagraywackes: evidence for pre-Taconic (Cambrian?) collisional tectonics in central Virginia: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 26, p. 13.
Evans, Nick H., 1994, Polyphase structures in the southeasternmost Blue Ridge and western Piedmont, central Virginia: constraints on evolution of the Mountain Run fault zone: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 26, p. 13.
Evans, Nick H., 1991, Preliminary geologic map (1:100,000 scale) of the Blue Ridge basement complex between the 38th parallel and the James River, Virginia: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 23, p. 28
Evans, Nick H. and Milici, Robert C., 1990, Transverse structures on the Gate City-Duffield trend, southwest Virginia: implications for hydrocarbon exploration east of the Alleghany front: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 22, p.141.
Evans, Nick H., 1989, Geologic transect across the Alleghany structural front in Russell County, southwest Virginia: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v.21, p.14.
Evans, Nick .H., and Milici, Robert C., 1988, Structural style and tectonic shortening across the central-southern Appalachian juncture zone: Geological Society of America 1988 Centennial Celebration Abstracts with Programs, p. A-125.